Monday, April 20, 2009

Gratitude for Latitude


Most people don't think about being gratitude until Thanksgiving rolls around. Some families go around the dining room table listing things that they're grateful for. However, anytime is the best time to center around being grateful. Sometimes it's challenging to be able to say, "Thank you" for some things in life, but it will change the way you think.

Back in the summer of 2004, a friend challenged me to think about some things in my life. In my serious frame of mind, I realized that I was looking at what I did not have and not what I did have. Result: My Gratitude List. What I thought would be difficult to think of even 50 items has turned into a list of thousands of things. Through this exercise, I began to see things very differently. Even when life presented challenging and difficult situations, my attitude changed from frustration to joy.

To start, all you need are a pen and paper as well as the time to do it. I spend about 30-45 minutes each morning in my personal devotional time. This is when I take a few minutes to write a few things I'm grateful for. Typically, adding to my Gratitude List takes less than 10 minutes.

Samples of what I'm grateful for:
1 - My children
2 - Being born in Williamsburg, Virginia
3 - My good health
4 - A great church family
5 - Family who love me
6 - Swimming laps in the pool
7 - Color
8 - Beautiful snow
9 - Vacation to San Diego and seeing the joy in my children's eyes when there
10 - Sleeping well at night

These are somewhat generic, but you get the idea. Some of the things you may list will be personal joys, difficult times, and ordinary things you see and experience on a daily basis. Give it a try for just 30 days. Once you start, you won't go back.

What prompted me to write about this today was an email that I found in my email inbox. Crye-Leike Connections writers did an article on how thankfulness gives us more energy. I think they're right. To view the article, CLICK HERE. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

For help with your real estate needs from this agent who has a positive attitude, give me a call. I'd love to help you with buying a home, selling your current home, or both. Enjoy your day!

No comments: