Monday, September 21, 2009

Those Wicked Preds



What a weekend! From ice hockey to the theater - it couldn't have been any better!

There's something about a hockey game that excites me. Only my second game, I went with my buddy, Chris, and saw my friend and client, Jenn, there. Jenn, the walking encyclopedia of sports knowledge and trivia, gave me a quick rundown on how hockey is played, the highlights, and an overall synopsis of the players. It could not have been more fun.

The longer I sat there, the more I enjoyed the cool icy air, the screaming fans, the typical arena food, the HugCam, silly games, and the fights that broke out. If you're looking for sports excitement, this is the game to see!

I never thought the Preds would ever defeat the Columbus Blue Jackets. It wasn't until the third period that the Preds scored the winning goal. No one scored until the second period when the Blue Jackets actually scored first. Followed by the Preds. Then the Jackets. Finally the Preds tied it up and it was in the last few minutes of the game when they scored that winning goal. Honestly, I never thought they'd ever shut out the Jackets. I guess when they're really up against the clock, they pull it all out to get ahead. For information about the Preds or to purchase tickets, CLICK HERE.

Sunday, as a birthday gift, I got to see the new musical, "Wicked", at TPAC. I'd already heard it was good, and I guess the fact that it was a sell-out proved that fact. "Wicked" is the pre-quel to "The Wizard of Oz" (well, sort of), and tells the story of the two witches of Oz - Glinda the Good Witch of the North, and Elphaba the Wicked Witch of the West.

The story opens when Glinda confirms to the Ozians that the Wicked Witch is dead. Immediately we flashback to the day the Elphaba was born. The story chronicles how the two girls met at college, became friends, and then went their separate ways. The story is told from Elphaba's point of view. Now, if you haven't seen the show, I won't spoil it for you by telling you the plot. Just know that there are plenty of twists and turns throughout the play and that there's a little surprise at the end. The play is no more in Nashville, but there are other locations where you can see it. CLICK HERE for more info on locations, dates, times and tickets.

What a great weekend. An exciting hockey game and a superb theater performance.

No comments: