Wednesday, September 23, 2009

All Around Tough Day


Ever had one of those tough days? You know what I'm talking about. It's days like today when nothing seems to goes right.

Oversleeping this morning, driving 90 minutes out of my way to pick up paperwork, arriving to work late, missing my 9 a.m. appointment, putting out fires that sprang up in the last few days, people being more sensitive than usual, goals not being met, conflict in relationships, rainy weather, a headache that won't stop ..... and the list goes on.

I wish I could tell you that I have it all together, but I can't - and don't! A few years ago, I admitted to a friend at work that I wasn't a superman. And while I felt free after sharing it, it devastated her. Sometimes we want people to be superhuman. But I can't be - ever! I'm just not a perfect man.

Chances are, most people have felt this way at some time or another. The frustration and hopelessness and defeat can get to all of us. I'm sure I can come up with some motivational quote about how defeat only makes us stronger and enables us to succeed down the road. And that quote may last a while, but it won't change our lives forever.

The truth is, while I don't feel very well today, I know that tomorrow will be a better day. My hope rests not in myself or my abilities, but within the person of Jesus Christ. Thank goodness for my relationship with Him. His unconquerable grace, mercy and love for me as His son gives me the hope that I cannot find within myself today. It's only through the power of God in my life that I know there's a better tomorrow, and that today's circumstances are just that - circumstances.

In Psalm 46, Israel was being pounced on. It seemed like everything was failing. Circumstances were difficult. Morale was low. Nothing seemed to be going well. But the promises of God crashed through all of those feelings of discouragement: (vv. 1-2) "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea..."; (v. 5) "God is within her; she will not fall; God will help her at break of day."; (vv. 10-11) "Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress."

It's times like this when I have to change perspective. Circumstances don't determine my life and how I live it. God is the rock that holds me up; the glue that holds things together. Focusing on the challenges of the day only makes life more uncomfortable. By changing perspective to a view of God, His grace and mercy and His love make life worth pursuing.

How about it?! Would a change of perspective make your life better today? Give it a shot. I think it will.

No comments: