Monday, June 21, 2010

The Best Father's Day Gift


I've often wondered what the first Father's Day gift was back in 1910. Maybe it was a tie. Throughout the years, I've received my share of Father's Day gifts. Everything from ties to shirts to gift cards made the list, but this year, I received the best gift ever.

When I opened my gift, I discovered something so precious that I will treasure it forever. No, not a brick of gold, or a nice new watch, or anything material. It was a book. That's right - a plain, simple book. Once inside I saw photos of my children on every page accompanied by descriptive words about each of them. You see, Annie and Hunter are the most precious gifts that any dad could have. Since they were born I've told them over and over again, "If I had to go to the ______ year old grocery story, I'd pick you out every single time!" I said it then and I say it now. There is NO GREATER gift in this life than children.

When Annie was born in February of 1994, she was a little early. Prior to her birth, she was an active baby. Her mother and I thought sure she would be a boy because she continually kicked and rolled over. She was born after over 24 hours of labor and weighed in at 7 pounds, 13 ounces. Hunter, on the other hand, was a little quieter baby. He was big, though, at 9 pounds 3 ounces, and he was a late arrival - about a week late.

I'm proud of my children and and love them with all of my heart. I'm sure you think your kids are the best, but I have to disagree -- mine are! And everyone says so! If you could get to know them, you'd see that they argue and fight sometimes. Annie tries to "steamroll" over Hunter, but he doesn't let her do that too often. He stands up for himself. But he has a much more tender heart. Hunter is more compassionate while Annie is a confident leader.

When I became a dad back in 1994, it was one of the greatest events in my life. And it happened again for a second time in November of 1995. Two great kids and the wonderful blessings that they bring. I'm so grateful ............

No comments: