Wednesday, April 21, 2010

That Unexpected Surprise!


It was a second showing of a home in Franklin. I'd made the appointment the day before and, as scheduled, met my buyers at the house. Even arriving on time, I managed to get there a few minutes before they arrived.

Promptly at 1, I rang the bell, but no answer. I knocked loudly, and still no answer. I opened the lock box, took out the key, and opened the door. When I get inside, the TV was on, dirty dishes were piled into the sink, and some of the lights were on. Of course, my first thought was that they were in such a hurry to get out that they forgot a few things. Or they were still home. I called out, "Anybody here?" several times; again, no answer.

After turning on all the downstairs lights, my clients pulled up and came inside. We started at the back of the house, talked about the space, and moved to the front of the house. While in the foyer, we noticed a man in a black leather jacket running across the front yard. He jumped on the front porch, pushed the front door open, and as quick as a flash, lept into the front office. When he came into the foyer he was loading his pistol and shouted, "Who the &$%# are you people and what are you doing in my house?!" Needless to say, all of us were caught off guard.

My clients and I left the house as I explained I was a real estate agent showing his house. He said he'd checked with his agent who said there was no showing at that time. After a phone conversation with the listing agent, we excused ourselves and left.

After countless apologies for the misunderstanding by the listing agent, things got better. We went back to the house an hour later ... and my client bought the house! All is well.

Yesterday the listing agent discovered what had happened. Her appointment center (not Crye-Leike's appointment center) called the owner of another listing she had and received confirmation to show that house, but called me back and confirmed this listing for me to show at the appointed time. The appointment center rep even gave me the correct alarm code for the correct house. Go figure ....

When all of this happened on Sunday, I was definitely stunned - not afraid. Now, I can say that I really have seen it all and done it all in real estate ...
___________________________________________
If you're looking for an agent who provides exceptional customer service and will even show you a house at near gunpoint, give me a call. I'm more than happy to assist you with all of your real estate needs.

No comments: